Wednesday, November 14, 2007
ChocoSol is a small, ecological and inter-communities initiative between farmers in Chiapas, Mexico, sustainable technologists based out of Oaxaca City, Mexico and horizontal traders and chocolatiers in Toronto, Ontario. The initial concept emerged from a research project at the Universidad de la Tierra in Oaxaca City that resulted in the development of solar roasters.
With the synergy of minds and hearts, the project has grown into an intercultural ad-venture, linking farmers and ecologically-minded producers in Southern Mexico with ecological and socially conscious producers and consumers in Southern Ontario. We work with the growers to help them diversify their production and elaborate their products.
The Aztecs credited the god Quetzlcoatl, with introducing the cacao bean to them. The cacao drink, Xoxolatl, was a sacred drink for royalty, priests, and warriors. The belief is that cacao seeds were brought from Paradise, and when the fruit of the cacao tree is eaten, we gain wisdom and power.
By the 1400s, the Aztecs and Mayans were using the cacao beans as a form of currency. The cacao bean went to Spain in the 16th century, eventually getting into the hands of Switzerland where the first chocolate bar was made in 1819.
In all its endeavours, ChocoSol ultimately honours the spirit and integrity of all those involved in spreading the joy, flavour and nourishment that the cacao bean offers to the world.
Be Healthy and Happy!Eat Chocolate and Cacao!
Cacao has been recently recognized as a superfood, meaning that it is filled with a multitude of goodness.
Cacao Beans and Dark Chocolate:
- Promote cardiovascular health
- Protect us from toxins
- Increase the levels of neurotransmitters in the brain that promote positive outlook
- Counter acts clinical depression
- Balances brain chemistry
- Build strong bones
- Detoxify the liver
- Support healthy pancreas functioning
Cacao Beans contain:
- two saturated fatty acids, palmitic and stearic acids, and the mono-unsaturated oleic acid
- Polyphenols with the antioxidant properties called flavonoids
- Theobromine, a mild stimulant with a mild diuretic action
- a very low amount of caffeine
- the essential minerals: magnesium, calcium, iron, zinc, copper, potassium and manganese
- Vitamins A, B1, B2, B3, C, E and pantothenic acid